Sunday, October 16, 2005

A Makeover Story

After I moved to my new house, I realized I needed a new TV for the living room. (I banished the 10-year old Wal-Mart special to the family room in the basement.) I looked at a few TVs at Target, but the prices were pretty high, considering I also needed to buy a new TV stand.
Then my prayers were answered. A few weeks ago I discovered a console TV along the roadside with a free sign taped to it. It's a TV that's also a piece of furniture! I don't have to buy a new TV or a stand. Now I can use the money for an IKEA shopping spree instead. (I love their shrimp and egg salad sandwich! Yum!)
After hauling the new TV out of the van, I realized that it really didn't match my black pleather couch. Luckily, I had a few cans of spray paint left over from when I painted my flaming Festiva a few years ago. I decided it was time for a console TV makeover. So in this edition of a makeover story, we'll be seeing the "Before" pictures of the TV, and a some shots from the in-progress makeover.

Before the Makeover:



After removing the free sign and using Goo-Gone to scrape off the tape mark on the screen, I carefully unscrewed the brass handles on the front of the console. Unfortunately they were covered with a greenish corrosion, so I spray-painted them with a hammered metallic pewter finish, left over from painting the Festiva's hubcaps.

The Makeover In Progress:
Notice how I carefully masked off the screen. Please check back soon to see the "After" photos! The makeover story continues . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment