Monday, January 22, 2007

Best Radio Station About Nothing

I'm an MPR devotee and a public radio member since age eight, but lately I can't listen to all of the politcal talk and war reports because I get too worked up. I have trouble concentrating on working or driving. Then I start babbling about Bush and Fallujah, and the other people around me get annoyed.
City Pages, always trying so hard to be ironic and hip, named 107.1 the best radio station about nothing for 2006. The station is all talk. It's like a talk vacation - a cruise away from politics and religion. Just like polite Minnesotans, they avoid all inflammatory discussions, so you can listen and not get so worked up about something that you can't use the computer at the same time. I guess no one at City Pages ever gets tired of political talk.
I discovered FM 107.1 at the State Fair this summer and I'm addicted to listening to this station on my Walkman while I work. During the day I'm out of range of Power 96, Faribault's best rock, so I listen to talk radio. I need it to keep writing code.
I like the Lori and Julia show in the afternoon. They're sisters-in-law from the east side of Duluth. They have the heavy Minnesota accents. We have to preserve this kind of radio! I love hearing other people say, "any-whoo" and "yah, yah, you know." Last week they interviewed Tom Wopat, you know, the guy that played Luke Duke on the Dukes of Hazzard. There's nothing better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment