Sunday, April 22, 2007

Accent Quiz

While working on the computer, I enjoy listening to 107.1, named the Best Station About Nothing by the veritable City Pages. There is a lot of chat about nothing, all served up in the ripe tones of a Minnesota accent. One of the FM 107 guest hosts is the voice of Cub Foods. You know those ads, where the host says something like, "We're at Cub Foods, asking real Minnesotans about how much they like their honey-cured hams." Then you hear a Cub shopper saying, "Ham for $1.99 a pound? Oh my goodness, I better buy two hams, you know. That's a good deal. You bet." Then another shopper, "Ooooh, ham, you betcha, I love my hams." Yikes!
Anyway, I'd like to see how the FM 107 hosts score on the accent quiz. I bet they'd be in the special category for Minnesotans who get mistaken for Candians, along with me.

Here is a summary of my score. I challenge you to take the quiz and send me your score!

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The Inland North
The West
The Midland
Boston
The Northeast
The South
Philadelphia

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

1 comment: