Saturday, October 13, 2007

Converting my Convertible to Driveable

A few of you might have heard that my Del Sol convertible was taken out by a drunk driver a few weeks ago. Although shaken, I wasn't hurt. Sadly, my car looks disturbing now. The driver's side is smashed in spectacularly. Congratulations to Honda's safe design, I hopped out of the driver's seat without a scratch.
This weekend was filled with wonderful Del Sol news. I settled up monetarily with the other driver this weekend. I took a road trip down to Austin to pick up a door, side skirt and quarter panel from a junked white Del Sol. That little car took a hit to the passenger side, and mine took a hit to the driver's side, so out of two half-damaged Del Sols I'm going to try to assemble a single decent one.
It's time for "A Makeover Story", Mary style. I never planned for this makeover, but now it's rolling along. Unfortunately, the salvage yard employee who got the order for my quarter panel got a little mixed up. He cut off a quarter of the car. Part of the floorboard, severed brake lines, and an assortment of other bits of a quarter of a Del Sol are now lodged in my van. They're awaiting transport to a skilled welder who will separate just the quarter panel from the one fourth of a Del Sol and weld it onto my little car.
This might be the best automotive makeover on which I've ever embarked. Best wishes to the little Del Sol. I just hope I can convert this convertible to a usable vehicle again.

No comments:

Post a Comment