Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Embarassing Situation Pops Up Over Popcorn


Have you watched the show "Curb Your Enthusiasm"? If not, I recommend it, as long as you have a high tolerance for embarrassment. Larry David, the producer and star, has a penchant for embarrassing situations.
Last week I found myself embroiled in one of those situations. A Cub Scout stopped by selling wreaths. I bought two, one for myself and one for my Grandma. The price was excellent - maybe $15 or something for a real pine wreath, delivered to my house. Cool! I was only the second person to order anything from this poor kid, who was touring the neighborhood with his kindly dad during a thunderstorm. I told him to come back next year and I would definitely buy another wreath. Then he said he'd be selling popcorn soon. I told him to come back with the popcorn sheet. I promised to sign up for a giant tin for my co-workers and one for my grandma.
Well, last week I arrive home from work and my husband is washing his hands after cleaning the garage. He says, "You wouldn't believe this. Some boy scout stopped by selling popcorn. I told him to go away." My hubby has no tolerance for direct marketing. The poor boy scout. How embarrassing - I tell him to come back to my house with the popcorn sign-up sheet and then he gets shooed away. He was kind of a timid kid, too.
I really miss my popcorn tin. I was looking forward to consuming a large amount of pre-popped, preserved corn. Plus the tins make convenient holders for car rags and and cassette tapes in the garage. If only my hubby knew that, he might not have been so quick to shoo away our popcorn vending scout.




There is a happy ending to this embarrassing story. I discovered that the popcorn manufacturer that supplies scout troops has a popcorn sales website where you can support a troop of your choice when you order a large tin or a box of microwave popcorn. I'm ordering the Cheese Lovers Delight tin right now. Maybe you can order some too, and alleviate a bit of my guilt over missing my scout. Here's the website: http://www.orderpopcorn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment