Monday, October 22, 2007

Soft-sational Softy

I heard that Kansas' song "Dust in the Wind" made it into VH1's top 40 soft rock songs ever. Although I enjoy Kansas' campy electronic violin rock as an occasional escape during the commute home, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn they can lay claim to one of the best top 40 soft rock songs ever. VH1 called them "soft-sational"!
Despite my admiration for the song "Dust in the Wind", I cannot bring myself to watch the VH1 Soft-sational top 40 program. Soft rock usually makes me anxious and irritable. It reminds me of being in K-Mart, the dusty shelves, the messy racks of synthetic clothing, and the crackle of the announcement system as lame music slowly, endlessly plays in a crackling loop, only to be interrupted by the blue light special announcements. Instead of the chorus, "dust in the wind", perhaps K-Mart's chorus could be "All we have is dust on our shelves."

For you viewing pleasure, I looked up a very sappy video version of "Dust in the Wind".

No comments:

Post a Comment