Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Not So Smart


Yesterday I got the Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) email for the black and silver Smart car I reserved back in October. The ETA is April 2009. I rushed to the Smart dealership after work. The rep confirmed my worst fears. Smart car production is slower than promised. The ETA on the rep's car is 2010.
A blizzard swirled outside the dealership. I felt too disheartened to sit around with the Smart sales rep, but visibility was too low to safely drive home to Farmington. I climbed into my 3/4 ton conversion van and drove across the street to the BMW dealership. I figured they might have hot coffee. Turns out I was right. They've got fresh-brewed Starbucks.
I clomped in, stomping the snow off my Sorel boots. I glanced around, taking in the premium coffee machine and the giant, yuppie sedans. In that moment, under the hot, white showroom lights, I said cluck it, I'm going to buy a BMW. If I can't get my green machine Smart, I might as well be a gas guzzling yuppie driver. Luckily, the Midnight Madness promotion was happening last night at Motorwerks. A DJ provided entertainment and the car sales people were serving Red Bull at the bar. Around 12:30 AM this morning, I took possession of my brand-spanking new BMW. Do you think it will fit in around Farmington?




----------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy April Fool's Day!!!!

Hope yours was as good as mine.

2 comments:

  1. You had me going Mary! Maybe the wait for your Smart will just make you appreciate it all the more. Or was that part a joke as well?

    ReplyDelete