Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Brake for Coffee



The coffee break is a quintessential part of the cube farm environment in which most IT workers slave away. For many programmers, Mountain Dew has replaced the traditional break room machine-dispensed coffee. Since I try to limit my high-fructose corn syrup intake, I am still trying to choke down the peasant coffee from the break room. (Hey, it's free, right? I've saved enough by not attending the Caribou ritual each morning that I've been able to buy a multi-band Walkman™ radio that picks up TV stations. Yup, while you're chugging away on that whipped-cream topped mocha at work I'm listening to Judge Judy.)
One of my brilliant co-workers came up with the idea of adding 1 packet of Hot Cocoa mix to 1 cup of coffee. He calls it the Poor Man's Mocha. It can save you a few dollars a day over a coffee shop mocha, adding up to around $720 a year. (Note: You must use the standard issue mug that holds 6-8 ounces of coffee. The bucket-like Kwikie Mart mug will not work.) I personally use the sugar-free cocoa mix (which is still sweet, but has only 50 calories.)
So, slam on your brakes on the way to Caribou, and make a u-turn for the office break room. It's time to try a Poor Man's Mocha.

No comments:

Post a Comment