Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Smart Winter Driver

In one day five people stopped me to ask me questions about my Smart car. One at McDonald's (he just wanted to say he loves my cute car), two at Sam's Club and two at work. The people who stopped me at Sam's were driving a cool hybrid Saturn SUV. I got talking to them and discovered they live in my old trailer park. Since their mobile home has a shed instead of a garage, we were trying to figure out if they could fit a Smart cabriolet convertible in it. If they could shoehorn the Smart into the shed, they could drive a convertible in the summer and store it in the winter without paying storage fees.
Not to say Smart cars aren't excellent winter vehicles. I didn't die once this winter in my Smart car, despite dire warnings from other customers at the gas station. Smart cars were actually released in Canada years before being released in the US. If Canadians can drive these tiny cars in the winter (and over 10,000 of them do), I figured the car would do just as well in Minnesota.
Little did I know just how well the Smart handles in ice and snow, though, until I read about two Smarts driving the Dempster Highway across the Yukon alongside ice road semi-trucks. If you're a fan of the ice road trucking show on cable, then you have to check ice road smart driving: Ice Road Smart Driving

No comments:

Post a Comment