Thursday, July 28, 2005

PC Turn-Off Week

There is an article in today's Pioneer Press touting the benefits of not using a computer for a week. It claims the computer causes obesity and developmental problems. Yikes! I'm immediately limiting Whippy's computer time to an hour a day. She's sometimes surfing the web for two hours or more. She enjoys lying on top of my large, 10-year old monitor, basking on the warmth. Could you imagine an obese iguana? She's already four feet long. If she was obese on top of that, I don't know how I'd manage to bathe her.
The cats have been spending a lot of time on the computer, too. Literally. They also like to lay on top of the monitor, if Whippy's not around. Sometimes they walk on the keyboard and Beaner likes to push the optical mouse around on the pad. Maybe there's something to this obesity-computer link. Both of my cats have quite a potbelly, particularly Beaner. Hers swings back and forth when she runs. I'm definitely limiting the computer time at my house from now on. We'd all benefit from more active play.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, not using a PC for a week would be like... Holding onto a boat anchor too long. Sounds harmless, until you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaner sounds like it has a hernia. You might want to check into that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat's just get paunches.

    ReplyDelete