Thursday, November 3, 2005

Yet Another Brush with Fame

Last weekend I had a chance to meet the illustrious Mike Gelfand from the KQ Morning Show. He visiting Farmington, at a homebuilder's promotion about a mile from my place. This was truly an exciting event. No one else showed up to talk to Stretch (as Mike's affectionately known on the show.) He chatted with me for about 45 minutes. He's a fan of the horse races out at Canterbury and he gave me a few race tips, like filling out the racing form the night before. He also gave me the low down on Irv's, a bar in Northeast Minneapolis that he occasionally reports from live during the morning show. Yes, the bar is actually open during the morning show. They open at 8 AM with a three-for-one special. Believe me, Stretch has had some pretty interesting interviews with the bar patrons who are taking advantage of the three-for-one special.
On a more serious note, we discussed politics and the low-level of newspaper readership for traditional printed papers. (Yikes! Buy the Farmington Independent, please! I'd like to keep my job.) Mike is truly an intelligent and insightful guy, and just as quick-witted off the air as he is on. I'm glad I had a chance to meet him.

If you too want to get the inside scoop on horse racing from Mike, you can sign up for his seminar at Canterbury Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment