Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Is That a Hair in Your Root Beer?

Last Saturday morning I made my nearly weekly trek to the Ugly Mug, a couple of blocks from my house in Farmington. I sipped my steaming coffee while waiting for my tuna melt. (Yes, I eat tuna sandwiches for breakfast). Laying on the table was a brown newsletter with odd news stories and jokes intended to give readers a bit of entertainment while drinking a mug of java. Along the edges of the pages were ads for local businesses, including a barber shop/game room, which boasted free root beer, pool, darts and a trim at a reasonable price.
Do you know how some bars allow patrons to toss peanut shells on the floor? I pictured a group of guys standing around the bar, sipping their free root beers, and instead of standing on scattered peanut shells, they're standing in small drifts of freshly cut hair.
I wonder if they let you drink root beer while the barber is giving you a trim. If they do, hopefully the bartender serves the root beer in a cup with a lid on it instead of the traditional frosty mug. It wouldn't too yummy if bits of your hair ended up floating on top of your root beer.
But I think a game room/barber shop is a pretty good idea. I hate getting my hair cut. The stylist always talks about how hard it is to comb my hair, and I think, "Hey, tell me about it. I have to comb it everyday. You're lucky, you only get stuck combing it every 2 months." A free root beer and a game of pool would go a long way towards getting me in for a haircut. Too bad there isn't a ladies salon with a bar as well. New Year's is coming up quick, and I need to get a hair cut for the big party.

2 comments:

  1. So Mary, why don't you just go to the Guy's Bar/Barber? Give them a challage.

    (this is Nate BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I could give it a shot. They might give me a funny look, but I'm sure they have to learn how to cut long hair in barber school. If they didn't, they'd be cutting out the entire hair metal segment of the population from using their services.

    ReplyDelete