Sunday, January 29, 2006

Hygiene Class for Pets

I bought some new pet wipes at the Dollar Store this week. These wipes come in a plastic cylinder just like baby wipes. The packaging for the dog version promises to reduce the allergens that the pup produces. The cat wipes promise to control dander.
This is all well and good, if your pet is not terrified of the wipes. Somehow Perro knew the wipes were a grooming product before I even opened the container. He had his hairy little allergen producing body planted in the center of my bed, and when I walked into the bedroom with the wipes he gave me the same look of fear he displays when I take out his nail trimmer. With his brown eyes wide, and his stump of a tail between his legs, he stared at the wipe canister. I popped it open and tried to extract a wipe. He leapt off the bed and crawled under it to hide from the pet wipes.
So then I decided to get out the cat wipes and reduce the dander on Mystic's body. I found her under the hall table, licking her belly. She tried to run away, but I caught her and wiped her off. She's getting older and slower nowadays. Beaner was a different story. As soon as I touched her fur with a wipe, she took off for the basement, howling as she raced down the steps.
As far as I can tell, there is nothing that could hurt a pet in the wipe solution. The main ingredients are glycerin, an emollient, and aloe vera. Why are the pets so afraid of the wipes? I wish I could enroll them in a hygiene class. They just don't understand the importance of regular washing, and since they don't speak English, I have trouble communicating it to them.



His fear of pet wipes gives Perro pause. His eyes wide, he contemplates his terror of being wiped out.

3 comments:

  1. A lot of dander issues can be fixed with a change in their diet. Some foods just don't promote healthy skin. (Missing vital fatty acids and oils) One food I recommend for the cats, is Royal Canine Hair and Skin. If your puppy needs it too, a tablespoon of vegitable oil in his/her dinner would help a lot.

    A word to the wise, the cats will love the hair and skin food.. It is a fatty food. It's a good idea to mix it with a higher protein, lower fat food. They may eat the fatty food and leave the healthier food. If that happens, spraying the food with a light cooking oil (Not Pam or it's equivilent) should perk their interest enough.

    It also helps regulate hairballs. You'd be surprised the kinda stuff you learn working at animal shelters!

    - That Ryan T. guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that dogs are generally allergic to corn based products. When you start looking at the ingrediants in your pets foods, you will be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perro used to have frequent dermatitis, and since I switched to a lamb and rice based food, his dermatitis doesn't flare up as much. The composition of the diet really seems to make a difference in the dog's coat. I recently switched the cats to a higher protien, slightly higher fat food that is organic and lamb/rice based. I hope this will help with their dander. It's already eliminated a lot of the vomit episodes that were occurring 2-3 times a week. The dry winter air seems to make the dander worse.

    ReplyDelete