Monday, June 12, 2006

How to Restore a 1983 Sears Model TV

I spent a Friday night this May picking up curbside treasures and unloading the van. After an early dinner with friends that Saturday, I spent the evening cleaning my new Sears TV. Okay, so while all the cool people were out partying and avoiding getting shot while bar-hopping in Downtown Minneapolis, I was busy collecting and cleaning my junk treasures.

Here's how I restored the TV:
  • First I wiped it with a 3M static-attracting dust cloth to pick up any loose dust.
  • Then I scrubbed it with a toothbrush soaked in "Awesome Orange" degreaser.
  • I sterilized it by wiping it down with an anti-bacterial cleaner.
  • The final step was conditioning the plastic case by rubbing it with a soft cloth sprayed with "TurtleWax 2000" plastic and vinyl protector.
All of this work payed off. My old TV looks like new, and it has a fresh, citrus scent. I proudly set it on the kitchen counter, nestled next to my toaster oven. On Sunday, Joey walked into the house and he said it looks like Grandma's house, between the Sears black and white model and the console TV. I couldn't imagine a better compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment