Thursday, June 8, 2006

The Remaining Coffee

I was picking up groceries for my camping trip at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. My camping companion asked if I needed half-and-half for the morning coffee. I have a perky percolator instead of a Mr. Coffee. Since the percolator just uses a stove burner, not an outlet, I bring it along when I camp.
The camp-ability is a side benefit of the percolator. I originally bought it because it's easy to clean and smaller to store than the Mr. Coffee. Surprisingly, the coffee seems to taste so much better out of the percolator. Then I came across an article about caffeine concentration in drinks, and I learned that percolated coffee has significantly less caffeine than drip coffee. This is evidence that there is a scientific possibility that the percolated coffee does taste a bit different than the drip.
So I was standing in the icy dairy section at the back of the store, struggling to remember if I put powdered creamer in the picnic basket. (I always store the camping food in a latched basket. I'm hoping that Yogi the Bear will try to steal it and I'll get a chance to finally meet him.) Then I recalled slipping some packets of powdered creamer saved from a hotel room in the basket along with the Splenda™ saved from the coffee shop. I said, "Yes, I have some creamer in the picnic basket." I tried to recall the brand name, and I said, "It's that stuff my co-worker has on his desk, you know, Cremate." I mixed up Creamora™ with Coffeemate™ somehow. Then I realized, maybe Cremate was not something that belonged in the coffee. The only place a creamer and cremate mix-up might occur is on Six Feet Under or CSI. Even then, I think on both shows they keep the coffee pot far away from whatever they're working on. So if you're over at my house, and I accidentally offer you some Cremate with your coffee, you'll know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment