Sunday, November 5, 2006

Mary's Idea of a Doughnut


When I was in Boston a couple of years ago, I noticed Dunkin Donuts restraurants were everywhere. Literally, every couple of blocks was a doughnut stand. I'm not too big on sweets, so I had a hard time finding breakfast in Boston. A couple of times a year I might eat a doughnut at the Farmington Bakery, but considering they have the best baked goods in the entire world, Farmington Bakery doughnuts are nothing like Dunkin Donuts.
Then a couple of weeks ago, I discovered a doughnut I actually like eating. We had a Diwali celebration at work a couple of weeks ago (Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights) and one of my co-workers brought in the best doughnut I've ever tasted. A vadai is a doughnut made out of lentils, covered in chickpea flour batter and then deep-fried. I ate one with ketchup! Imagine it - a doughnut that tastes good with ketchup or hot sauce. Now that's my idea of a doughnut.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.. sounds scary, but could be good. I on the other hand, do like doughnuts, especially cake doughnuts or plain raised sugared doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like tater tots or the Arby's potato cakes, you would probably like vadai. I'll only eat a normal doughnut if I'm really hungry and doughnuts are the only thing in the programming trough at work. But I could make room to pack in vadai even after a lunch trip to the all-you-can-eat salad bar.

    ReplyDelete