Saturday, February 10, 2007

Mary on the Hoof


I’m trying to plan my next vacation. I always like to have one in the works so I have something to which I can look forward. Several ideas are floating around my noggin. For about eight years I’ve had a fascination with sea turtles. They’re turtle-ly awesome! So I’m batting around the idea of an expedition to Akumal in Qunitana Roo, Mexico. Akumal is a Mayan word which means turtle spot. This spot has one of the highest number of turtle sightings in the world. Many people have even spotted green sea turtles while snorkelling, and the Ecological Center at Akumal needs volunteers to assist in collecting eggs during nesting season. The center collects the eggs and incubates them, insuring none are eaten by predators. When the baby turtles hatch, they are tagged and released to the ocean.
Another idea is Chi-town. Sure, I was in Chicago a couple of years ago to see the Science Museum, and I lucked out seeing Dio and Anthrax at the Hard Rock Café. But I never climbed the Sears tower or visited the acclaimed IKEA store in Schaumberg, that wonderful Chicago suburb.
Of course, Vegas is always a possibility. Even though I was there twice this year, it is my favorite destination ever. (Except maybe the Yogi Bear campground in Wisconsin Dells. I love seeing Yogi, and he is so nice. He has never tried to steal my picnic basket.) What do you guys think? Do you have a favorite destination, and if so, why? I’ll entertain all ideas. Where have you camped, holed up in a motel, or jetted off to that you loved?

2 comments:

  1. Arizona is always nice, and you have a free place to stay down here at the Townhouse. Of course that might not feel like a vacation to you. Swimming and snorkeling is awesome, can you get Joey into a plane for that long of a flight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that getting Joey into a plane destined for Akumal might be an issue. I do have gal pals who wouldn't mind some time on the beach in a tranquil setting, so I don't have to force Joey for companionship. Although, I actually love sea turtles so much that I would go alone with just the turtles for company. Of course, I'd contact the Centro Ecological Akumal for guidance on traveling safely from the airport to the hotel to the facility, but I'm sure they would be of great help.

    ReplyDelete