Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fleeing the Flood

We had to take shelter in the tornado shelter area at work today. Everyone was buzzing with weather excitement. We were dismissed early due to the severe weather. Since the parking lot is bowl-shaped, I decided to take my chances and head for the hills. What would drive me to drive in the storm? The fear of a flooded car.
Several years ago my Dodge Omni was sitting in the parking lot at my old job during a downpour. Unknown to me, my Omni was parked over the storm drain, which clogged with debris. When I opened the back door of the building and saw the lake around my little Omni, I gulped. I waded towards it with trepidation. Who knows what might be floating in the murky water? I opened my car door, there was a couple of inches of water covering the carpet. As I drove home, the water sloshing, a distinctly unpleasant odor took over the small cabin. Even though I sucked out the water with my Shop Vac and disinfected the carpeting, the car smelled like moldy feet for weeks.
Thank goodness that was the Dodge Omni that I bought for $50. I sold it to my friend Cheesy after I brought home my first Del Sol. I probably should have warned him that the Omni smells like feet every time it rains. Oh well. At least I escaped flooding today with my speedy Toyota Echo. Since I still owe money on it (it cost more than $50) I'm relieved it didn't flood.
Here's a snazzy purple '88 Omni that sold on eBay for $255. Credit goes to Andy of wunderland.com for this excellent photo. His wife had the car painted purple for him in 1995. He's a lucky man.

No comments:

Post a Comment