Sunday, July 1, 2007

Half as Cool as Alice Cooper

Once again I'm inspired to write during Headbanger's Ball on MTV. There is just something a bit special about Headbanger's Ball. I've written things that won me scholarships and not-so-hip regional poetry contests while watching the Ball. I just need to thank Slash from Guns'n'Roses and Sebastian Bach from Skid Row for their continued inspiration over the years.
Tonight I watched the Alice Cooper video for the song "Poison" and I have to comment on his exhilarating performance at last year's Taste of Minnesota festival. He was incredible, performing his entire "Welcome to my Nightmare" spectacle amid throngs of cheering fans and dazed families who accidentally attended the festival while Alice was on stage. I dreamed of seeing Alice performing live since the first time I watched the movie "Wayne's World", where he appears as a guest explaining how Native Americans named Milwaukee, WI. I know Alice is out there on the golf course, heading up numerous tournaments, but at the same time, he's rocking out on tour as explicitly as he did in the '70's. He still wears slick leather pants and totes his riding crop around on stage.
I hope to be just half as cool as Alice. I know as a computer programmer, I can only reasonably expect to be 1/4 as cool as Mr. Cooper, but every day I strive to improve my coolness factor. If only I could play an instrument, then maybe I could join a band and score a spot on Headbanger's Ball. Not likely, but this can serve as a pleasant daydream distraction while I'm eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich at my desk.
Well, I'm sorry to leave you so soon, but I need to excuse myself. The Metal Mania program on VH1 just started. I need to pay Axl Rose quite a bit of attention as he rocks out wearing a very large white T-Shirt and a very large poof of teased red hair.

Here's a great photo of Axl with not-so-big hair. I like how my hair style and his carry a few similarities in this photo.

2 comments:

  1. Keith (roommate) actually drove Alice Cooper around for a night last month.

    He said that Alice is really cool, smart and not at all burned out on drugs like some of the other celebrities that he has driven around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice seems quite articulate in interviews. His stage show last summer was excellent, and as a senior citizen, he's in better shape than a lot of young folks. He and Dio are my favorite senior rockers.

    ReplyDelete