Monday, February 4, 2008

Woodies and Hoodies

A lazy Saturday morning spent watching wildlife documentaries is a true treasure. Last Saturday I caught an episode of Wild America and learned a few new facts about my favorite web-footed pals. Some species of ducks engage in surrogate parenting. A female lays her eggs in the full nest of another duck pair, and the resulting group of ducklings are raised together. The Hooded Merganser and the Wood Duck are two such species. The episode of Wild America I watched is entirely devoted to these two species. The episode's title is "Woodies and Hoodies". Maybe your mind was going somewhere else when you saw the title of this blog post. I can assure you it refers strictly to Wood Ducks and Hooded ducks. I chuckled a bit, though, when Marty Stouffer described how the Hooded Merganser males puff out their hoods to entice female ducks. Oh, Marty. This episode is nearly as scandalous as the ones you staged back in 1996.

1 comment: