Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Snowstorm Smarts

So what do I do when it's time to leave work and a snowstorm is raging outside the breakroom window? I use my snowstorm smarts and prepare for the weather by:
  • Strapping on a massive pair of Sorrel boots, rated for protection to -20 degrees Farenheit.
  • Packing a granola bar in my purse.
  • Refilling my Coca-Cola Zero bottle with water. (In case I become stuck and thirsty on the trek home.)
  • Donning Thinsulate(TM) brnad mittens. If these are unavailable, wool will work.
  • Preparing to test drive a new car.

Every Minnesotan knows it really doesn't matter how your car performs in the summer. Any car can drive on dry pavement. The real test of safety is in a snowstorm. I drive past several dealerships on my normal commute home, including Mercedes and BMW. I've never had the urge to stop at those. But the new Smart dealership is only a half block off my side-street emergency snow route. I pulled off there Monday to borrow their silver Passion coupe for a romp in the snow. Boy, did we have a blast. The Electronic Stability Control steadies the car over blowing drifts. The ABS stops it firmly and decisively when an elderly person wanders out from behind an old pickup in right in front of the passenger side. (I'm not saying this happened on my test drive, only that it COULD happen. This is a hypothetical situation.) If a Smart car is fun during a snowstorm, then it's a smart choice for me.

1 comment:

  1. http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=129327754&blogID=354846867

    ReplyDelete