Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Tool that You Love

After a long day at the Twin Cities Java Software Symposium, my eyes are so tired from focusing on PowerPoint slides that I can barely focus on my computer screen. Yet, before my head hits the pillow, I'm compelled to relate one anecdote from today's expert panel discussion.
The computer programming gurus who are presenting lectures at the symposium were lined up on stage for the expert panel after lunch. I nibbled on a piece of tiramisu for dessert as they spoke. (Many of you probably know I'm not a huge fan of sweets. Tiramisu, a cheesy Italian confection, is one of the few desserts I honestly look forward to eating.) The experts were discussing a software development tool that most of the people at the conference use for work. Everyone uses it not because it's free, not because it's the best tool for the job. One expert said a developer's relationship with this tool was like an arranged marriage.
Then another expert expounded on this point by saying that since all of us spend at least 40 hours a week with our development tool, we spend more time with it than our spouses. He said we should love the tool we use.
Another expert shot back a response. "Is that what your ex-wife said? You've got to have a tool that you love?"
I almost choked on my bite of tiramisu. After a whole morning spent talking about tools, one of the computer programmers just got called a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment