Sunday, April 20, 2008

Black is the New Black


According to Time magazine, "fashion trends and tastes often serve as early harbingers of economic change", which is why fall fashion lines are featuring black. The recession is putting consumers in a dour mood, and apparently fashion designers think clothes should reflect the feelings of loss and mourning that everyone with an adjustable rate mortgage is experiencing. This fall there will be no goofy paisley patterns or frumpy florals. Just straight up black.

I'm excited about this new fashion development. Finally, black is the new black. Just last year the fashion pundits were crowing about bringing back neon colors from the 80's. Yikes! Would Metallica wear a bunch of floppy neon green running shorts on stage? Never. I can't imagine James Hetfield, just an all around cool guy who loves to rock out, wearing anything neon while doing his job. In the same vein, I really can't imagine myself buying a whole new wardrobe of neon clothes to wear to work. How about a pair of hot-pink sweatpants to lounge in while programming? I won't pretend to be some kind of fashionista, but that would be indescribably lame.

Thank you Time magazine, and Yves Saint Laurent, for bringing back a color that rocks. If I could get away with it, I'd wear a black T-Shirt and a pair of black jeans every single day, but I don't want people at work to think I'm weird. This fall I'm looking forward to wearing black every day, and just pretending I'm being fashionable. For one short season, at least, headbangers and people who spill on their shirts at lunch (I'm a member of both groups) will feel complete freedom to wear the color they love with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment