Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ozzy on National Public Radio?

Yesterday morning during the National Public Radio program Marketplace, the broadcaster read a short segment about the weekend's top movies. He announced Iron Man was one of the top grossing films. Then the familiar growling guitar riffs of Black Sabbath's hit song Iron Man began in the background. As the program cut for a break, the music swelled. I never thought I'd hear Ozzy crooning with Black Sabbath on public radio. How strange to hear a heavy metal classic juxtaposed with the deliberate, slow and slightly pretentious voice of one of public radio's esteemed broadcasters.
I bought my first copy of Black Sabbath's "We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll" at a garage sale when I was tweleve, for only $1. For all the wonderful hours I've spent with that album, I never, ever expected to hear it on NPR.
Here's a vintage Black Sabbath "Iron Man" video featuring Ozzy, back when he was my age. Don't worry if your kids are looking over your shoulder right now. This is a G-rated video and the song is G-rated as well. It really is about the superhero. Honest. There's no one biting the head off a bat in this video.



1 comment: