Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Do-it-Yourself House?

My fitness center features satellite televisions, perched high above the equipment. The fitness center dues are the same price as the basic satellite package. Plus, I am eligible for a partial refund on dues through my health insurance plan, if I exercise regularly. I've been using my fitness center for their satellite TV. Yesterday I watched the Science channel, CNN and Animal Planet while strolling on the treadmill. I'm really getting my money's worth.
One of the programs I watched was a reality show about a assembling a manufactured home. This was not just a plain old trailer. Instead, the couple featured had invested in a Huf Haus, a lovely home with vaulted ceilings, super-strong roof tiles and a second story balcony. The entire house is shipped from Germany in giant cardboard flat packs, just like IKEA furniture. Wow! What could be cooler? A house in a cardboard box.
After a bit of research, I discovered IKEA unveiled their own flatpack, assemble-it-yourself house last year. It's called the BoKlok and starts at $60,000. Sounds like a news blurb from the Onion, doesn't it? I've always dreamed of owning another manufactured home someday, and maybe, just maybe, IKEA will make that dream a Scandinavian-style reality.

Here's a British article on the lovely Huf Haus:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/09/yourmoney/mbuild.php

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you can assemble the whole house with just one tool, like the Ikea furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of doubt you can use only a single tool - but the article I read claims you can assemble the IKEA house yourself. I don't recommend using the single IKEA wrench to try assemble any of their furniture. If you don't have a well-charged cordless screwdriver you'll go crazy.

    ReplyDelete