Sunday, July 27, 2008

Who Invited the Zebra Mussels?


My husband's family owns a boat and it's docked at a local marina. I'm spending a leisurely morning at the coffee shop, checking out the marina website.

From the schedule of events on the marina website:
September 13 - 26th Annual Fall Party featuring the “Zebra Mussels”

Zebra mussels are attending the party? Who invited them? I'm not prejudice or anything, but they are an invasive species. I bet they're going to be clinging to the keg all night, sucking up the beer. Gross!

The U.S. Geological survey is tracking this nonindigenous aquatic species on their website. Check out their Google map of zebra mussel sightings, updated daily. I see there is a big red dot over the Twin Cities metro area. The U.S.G.S. must already be aware zebra mussels are planning to show up at the marina party.

No comments:

Post a Comment