Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rapping on a 3G Mobile Phone

Tonight I was listening to Shade 45 on the way to class, Eminem's station on satellite radio. The bass was bumping. One of the nifty features of the satellite radio is it shows the name of the artist currently playing. As I waited in the queue to enter the freeway, the name "Three G Mafia" scrolled onto the screen in tiny, angular letters. My husband, co-host of The Cell Phone Junkie podcast, is really big on 3G mobile phones. Believe me, I know all about why phones using this technology are superior. I even own one, the stodgy HTC Mogul. (You know how I define a phone as stodgy? There's a picture of a white-haired guy playing golf on the packaging.)
3G is an incredible new technology that brings broadband multimedia to mobile phones. Is a team of rappers so dedicated to this particular cell phone technology they named their group after it? I pictured these husky-voiced guys wandering around a hip, strobing club, rapping while searching for cell phone signal. One guy, with a Blackberry and a Treo holstered on his belt, and an HTC Diamond in hand boasts, "Yo, bro, I've got 3G here. You're still on the 1X!"*
It was quite a picture. But a short search on the web revealed this just wasn't reality. The angular font on the radio screen made me mistake the "Three 6 Mafia" for the "Three G Mafia". Which is really an honest mistake. There's a lot of things relating to the letter G on Shade 45, like music from G-Unit and lyrics about G things. You know how episodes of Sesame Street are sometimes brought to you by a letter? If Shade 45 were an episode of Sesame Street, it would be brought to you by the letter G. Of course, it would also be the most highly protested episode ever, as the content contains a lot of language too grown-up for the Sesame Street audience.

*For you non-cell phone junkies, 1X is an older technology with less bandwidth and slower data transfer rates. Basically, it's slow.

3 comments: