Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Are You Ready?

Exciting events seem to pop up just when you're least ready. I'm in the thrall of finals and scrambling to decorate and shop for the holidays. Then today I found out my long-awaited Smart car is slated for delivery next Wednesday. After over a year to prepare, I'm still not sure if I'm ready for the excitement and thrill of driving a Smart full time. I'm doing thumb exercises to get ready for pushing my new steering wheel mounted paddle shifters.
I've turned the keys for the Mini over to my hubby and now it's his turn to enjoy the fancy coffee and plush couches at the BMW dealership during oil changes. I always felt like I needed to dress up for a service appointment there, like I should wear my wool Jones New York suit and my good winter dress coat.
I'm not quite sure I'm welcome back at the BMW dealership, anyway. It's probably better for the hubby to deal with them from now on. There's been several coffee incidents. I accidentally doused a leather couch with decaf and I tried to wipe it up with a Kleenex from my coat pocket, smearing it around worse. Then another time I tipped over a paper cup of regular onto the carpet of the BMW X5 courtesy shuttle. The last time I was there I misused the fancy coffee machine and managed to overflow my custom MINI travel mug, covering the entire refreshments counter with an inch of hot liquid.
The wonderful thing about life is that events happen whether you are ready for them or not, whether it's an overflowing coffee mug or the delivery of a new sub-compact. Am I ready for a new addition to my automotive family? I'm not quite sure, but I know I can make room in my garage and my heart for the tiny Smart.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't spoken to you in a many years, Mary, but I ran across a sale listing today, and I immediately thought of you.

    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/sys/946018757.html

    The guy is unloading a bunch of C-64 hardware and goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh - that's dangerous. I could fill a spare room with all of those goodies. Good to hear from you Dru. :)

    ReplyDelete