Friday, May 22, 2009

A Hero in my Own Mind


I discovered a solution to my inability to learn song lyrics without the CD liner notes. Santa brought me a Wii for Christmas. I am using the little microphone to sing along with the songs in Guitar Hero (well, I only pick the heavy metal songs, so it's more like growl and scream along with the songs.) I got 94% on the Chimaira song the first time I tried it. First time! I admire a band who derives their name from a multi-headed monster in Homer's Iliad. Who knew those classics courses I took as an English major would bring depth to my appreciation of metal? I picture my current project at work as a Chimaira of sorts. As soon as we lop off the roaring lion head, the fire-breathing dragon head rears up, ready to torch us. But I digress.
Not only does the Guitar Hero vocal option help me learn the lyrics to songs, it also impresses them into my memory in such a way I can recall them at will. If only I could have come up with some song lyrics about telecommunications last semester for my telecomm class. I struggled to memorize the terminology, POTS, CLECs, SIP, it went on and on. Maybe I could form my own telecomm metal band, where we just growl about pulse code modulation and session initiation protocol.




If you have Guitar Hero at home, you can download the Chimaira song "Walking on Broken Glass" for free. I'm thinking about seeing them on the "Decimation of the Nation" tour this summer, maybe in Des Moines or Sioux Falls. They're both great towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment