Saturday, August 15, 2009

HIgh Heel Hijinks

Tonight I have a wedding to attend. Thursday night I frantically searched for my single pair of high heels reserved for such occasions. The lovely thing about being a programmer is comfortable shoes are acceptable in the workplace. I wear Danish ergonomic dress shoes from Ecco every day. They were pretty pricey, but I spent my birthday money on them a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, they're not appropriate with a cocktail dress for an evening wedding. After a frantic search of the hall closet where there are four pairs of snow boots but no heels, I finally remembered something went haywire on my single pair of heels during the last wedding I attended.
Now I'm in a spot where I have to do the second-most loathsome activity in the world, shoe shopping. The first is getting my hair cut, which I should also probably do, but I'm going to try to disguise the ragged ends by curling them instead of trimming them. Trying to shoe shop and endure a session at Fantastic Sams sounds not-so-fantastic to me.
With sheer perseverance and will, I believe I can make it through this shoe expedition. I dread arriving at the wedding in my nice Jones New York dress accented by the pair of foamy sandals* I wore tubing down the Apple River at Ozzfest '98. Wish me luck!




* Why wear foamy sandals while tubing? For one thing, you do not want any part of your body to touch the murky river bottom filled with crushed beer cans and all manner of things that are unimaginable worse. For another, you need sandals that float in case one gets knocked off going over the rapids and these sandals do float.

No comments:

Post a Comment