Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Long Time No Blog

In December I ended up taking finals, administering finals and grading finals. Tuesday of finals week, December 22, a social worker left a message on my mobile phone voice mail.
She gave me 48 hours notice to move my grandmother from the nursing home where she was receiving physical therapy to an assisted living apartment. Two days to try to set up a phone, buy a twin bed, order an electric lift chair, plus buy and install everything you need in a studio apartment, from a shower curtain to a clothes hamper. All the moving tasks had to be completed around giving and grading my last final exam.
As my students were bent over their exams a massive storm was ominously rolling towards the Farmington area. As I worked on final grades in the windowless instructor prep room, I hoped beyond hope the roads would be clear enough for me to get to the dollar store to buy grandma laundry soap, toilet paper and shower gel.
Luck was on my side, and the heaviest flakes didn't arrive until I was pulling out of the dollar store in a Smart car jam packed with supplies and a bouquet of silver balloons to welcome Grandma to her new home.
On Christmas Eve I awoke early, stopped by Taco John's for a quick bean burrito power-up and drove up to Grandma's new apartment to sign paper work and get it ready for her four o'clock arrival. I wore my favorite elf hat and jingle bell necklace on top of my usual black t-shirt and jeans get-up. In a nod to the ice storm outside, I wore my black calf-high -30 below rated boots. One of the seniors in the apartment building lobby asked me if there was a flood outside. I said no. She said it looked like I was wearing a pair of waders. I didn't take offense. No boots rated for -30 below zero are stylish.
Despite the stormy weather Grandma arrived safe and sound via a Medi-cab van. I drove up to the nursing home to ride with her. Thank goodness I ordered the Medi-cab. The courteous driver pulled us through a snow storm that was rapidly turning into an ice storm. Grandma ate dinner in the lovely downstairs dining room overlooking a golf course as I heated a frozen gas station pizza in her tiny oven. I introduced Grandma to the lady who was admiring my "wader" boots and they gossiped together at the same table over dinner.
The past few weeks have been a blur of bills, hearing aid and eye doctor appointments, moving antique lamps and ordering durable medical equipment. Finally Grandma seems to be settled in, and after a long time, I can look at my blog again. So here's to Mary reporting live from a local retirement community - this is just the beginning of the New Year and frequent visits involving Wheel of Fortune and dinner at 4 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment