Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Build-Your-Own Race Car

Although I love my Smart car, sometimes when I'm climbing an uphill freeway entrance ramp that's only a block long and my tiny 3-cylinder engine is growling, I secretly wish for a street legal race car. Now there's a car company built on the open-source software model which can help make that happen. Local Motors of Massachusetts sells the experience of building your own race car in their Phoenix facility. The cost is only about $50000, or around 3-4 Smart cars. The race car design is developed by an online community of volunteer engineers. The parts come from a partnership with Penske Automotive Group. By strange coincidence, Penske was instrumental in bringing the Smart to the US. Maybe the Rally Fighter (pictured to the left) will be my next car. A girl can dream, can't she?


No comments:

Post a Comment