Saturday, June 25, 2005

Roaming Rambling River Days

Despite the state of disaster in Farmington, Rambling River Days was a huge success. Dozens of people turned out for the Kiss the Pig contest tonight. Mayor Soderberg wore denim overalls and a pair of Billy Bob costume teeth, as a spoof on Farmington's redneck image. Although I voted for the Mayor, he did not win the honor of puckering up to the piglet. A high school coach/teacher won instead. As soon as they announced him, I knew he would win. I would have given anything to see one of my high school teachers kiss a pig. I'm sure the high school kids flooded into area businesses to vote.
My Rambling River Day today was wonderful. I ate a delicious cheese stuffed pretzel and perused the Farmington Tiger T-Shirts for sale at the department store downtown, Dueber's. I wandered the Midway of the carnival set up in the vacant lot behind the Farmington Steak House. There was only one really large ride there, a 60-foot tall, bi-armed spinning contraption with two tiny cars rotating on a center axis, called the Sidewinder. As I approached, I caught a glimpse of the peeling paint and rust enveloping the cars, and realized this ride was probably older than me. I knew it was my destiny to ride the scariest ride at the carnival. I handed the colorful carny my tickets (dampened slightly by the leaking air conditioner condenser in the ticket booth and by my own sweat), and I climbed into my car. After a few minutes of being thrown around the metal cage (there was no seat belt on this ride, just a metal bar), I emerged, bruised, yet invigorated by my purposeful brush with bodily injury. Perro watched from the ground and he was very glad I emerged unscathed. I rounded him up and headed home. Now I'm ready to relax with a comedic DVD and a Diet Cherry 7-Up. A perfect end to a wonderful Rambling River Day.

1 comment:

  1. While searching for new room air conditioner info for my house I stumbled onto your blog. I totally agree!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete