Friday, July 1, 2005

Trapped in a Tourist Trap

Perro and I took the Beast out to the Black Hills this past week for a bit of R & R. We stayed at the Rapid City KOA. Although the showers were clean, the entire KOA was similar to a big gravel parking lot with a few picnic tables. After this experience, I'm convinced that KOA stands for Kamping On Asphalt. The only thing softening this stay were the all-you-can-eat pancakes served up by cowboy poet, John Horton, who happens to be the KOA owner.
While I took in the Black Hills sights during the day, Perro relaxed at the Peterson's Ranch, a llama farm and kennel 6 miles outside of Rapid City. Perro enjoyed the turkeys, geese and Shetland ponies on the farm so much that he didn't want to leave. The owner gave us a special little meal for small dogs and a couple of dog cookies for Perro to munch on.
While Perro was enjoying his days on the farm, I toured Deadwood, the Reptile Gardens and Wind Cave National Park. I highly recommend the Reptile Gardens. The Komodo Dragon lumbered about his cage, the green iguanas lounged on their branches and a staff member wrestled an alligator while I watched. After hanging out with a few of Whippy's pals, I was relaxed and in a good mood. In such a good mood, in fact, that I decided to experience the "mystery" of the Cosmos Mystery Area. The "mystery" turned out to be a cabin leaning to one side, built into the hillside among the Ponderosa pines. I payed $8 to see this cabin. I got trapped in a tourist trap!
Well, I need to hit the hay, so later I'll blog a bit more on Deadwood and Wind Cave. Perro and I had many more adventures that I'd like to tell you about, so check back soon!


This unsuspecting group of tourists shelled out $8 a piece to stand in front of this leaning cabin.

1 comment: