Friday, September 30, 2005

Big Bargains at Big Dollar

My favorite dollar store was highlighted in the Star Tribune as having some of the best buys in the Twin Cities. My personal best buys at Big Dollar are a solar shower for camping and several tubs of iguana food. (Usually iguana food is $6 a tub, and solar showers are $10-$15.) I love the generic anti-bacterial disinfectant they sell there. It emits such a wonderful fresh scent when I deoderize the cat box.
Sadly, since I switched from being a county employee to a big-shot software engineer, my dollar store shopping has slowed a bit. I get lax and sometimes buy cleaning supplies at Target instead. I've even quit buying as many clothes at the Goodwill.
The clothes buying started last winter when I got a bonus and decided to make a little post-Christmas sale trip to the Red Wing Mall. I bought a brand-new Mudd corduroy jacket. I'd been keeping an eye out for one at the Goodwill for about two years, and it never materialized. So I gave in and bought one brand-new. I love it so much that I have trouble taking it off and leaving it in my cube when I get to work. One of my co-workers was concerned that I'd overheat because I still had my jacket on at lunchtime last week.
Today one of my co-workers gasped when I said that I've been doing some shopping at the Saks Off 5th downtown. It's true! I really bought a $120 pair of Oscar de la Renta PJs for $9 there. But don't worry about me spiffing up my lifestyle so much that I don't fit in in Farmington anymore. There will always be a place in my closet for my Metallica t-shirt collection. There will always be a place under my sink for generic disinfectant. And there will always be a place in my heart for the big bargains at the Big Dollar Store.

A Nifty Picture of Big Dollar Store Man at the Forest Lake Grand Opening

Read more about the Big Dollar Store

No comments:

Post a Comment