Friday, September 30, 2005

Mary Gets Up on Her Soapbox

A Preface to this Post: I have to get up on my soapbox and rant a bit. If you find rants are tiresome, you have my encouragement to skip this post and go on to the one about the Dollar Store.

There is a huge controversy brewing in Farmington. The city council did not approve a site for a new high school out on the unpaved portion of Flagstaff Road. So a group of angry parents put up plastic signs all over town calling for the resignation of the mayor and city council. The signs accused the council members of not being concerned about children.
I'm cruising home from work on a sunny Friday afternoon, and I saw the sign that was jammed into the landscaping mulch in front of the nice, new City of Farmington sign. There it was - defacing the flowers planted around the city sign. I pulled the Echo over as soon as I could, hoofed it back to the two signs, and pulled out the one with the red, circular "no" symbol across Mayor Soderberg's last name. I was really embarrassed to see that sign, and I felt sorry for the mayor and the city council members.
It's their job to vote on issues, and it's unfair that they are being personally attacked for the way they voted on an issue. I'm guessing they are probably not child-haters and don't deserve to be publicly shamed. It seems pretty childish to put up signs and take out ads in the newspaper to embarrass the city council. Why not just go to a city council meeting or call the council members to voice concerns? I wonder why this group of parents is acting like children.

No comments:

Post a Comment