Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Hatchback I Covet


For as long as I can remember, I've wanted an Omni GLH. This is no regular frumpy Dodge Omni. Nope, the GLH is turbo-charged! So all of you snobs out there with vintage Volkswagens and Saabs, this little Omni is in your league. Scares you, doesn't it? Imagine the shame of being beaten by an Omni in a street race. I bet you're a bit afraid.

Several years ago, back when the dot-com boom was at its zenith, I received a big bonus as a consultant. That week, I pulled up next to a mint '86 GLH by chance at the gas station. My heart flip-flopped when I spotted the for-sale sign in the window. I waved at the owner and asked about the price. He said he wanted $3000, but would take $2500.
For the record, my Flaming Festiva, my first Festy, was present during this offer. I'm sure the Omni seller noticed my auto body modification savvy, and as a result, offered me the reduced price. An Omni GLH owner is one of the few people out there who could appreciate the coolness of a modded-out Festiva.
I took down the seller's phone number, but I ended up not calling. My guilty responsible conscience took over and I sunk my whole bonus into a money market account. Every once in a while, I think back to that chance encounter with a GLH, and I wonder about the road not taken. Maybe one of these days another Omni GLH will appear and I'll end up with another hatchback in the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment