Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Running Hot

The incredible streak of hot weather in Farmington is a bit hard on my petunias. Initially they grew quickly in an explosion of deep purple, magenta and blue, but now they are dying back. Less violet blooms are populating their gangly stalks. The pond is slowly evaporating. The clear surface where the goslings learned to swim this spring is overgrown with duckweed and algae.
The hot weather is affecting the new addition to the Lebens family as well. The Del Sol is running hot, and after some investigation, it's time for a new radiator. A primo one is only $65. Don't worry, the little guy will be running cool again soon.
It's been so hot that I've had to forestall major parts of the Del Sol's makeover, such as painting the passenger side quarter panel and the front bumper. The paint won't dry correctly under extreme heat. In the meantime, the search for an unblemished console continues. The console was busted apart when the car was broken into while still in the possession of the former owner. Although he generously provided me with the remains of the broken console, it may be worthwhile to purchase another instead.
I've been watering the petunias late at night so dampness doesn't evporate immediately in the sun's heat. Over the next two weeks I have to work from 9 AM - 9 PM four times, so I'll have ample late nights for watering. Whew! With these hours, it's like I'm back in college. The air conditioner can't keep up in the room I work in, so the heat wave is bothering me almost as much as it is bothering the petunias. I feel as though I've stretched out, and now my energy to blossom is slowly dying back.

No comments:

Post a Comment