Friday, September 1, 2006

Love Songs to Mosh By

So a few of you might know I'm getting married on September 9. Needless to say, my blog posts for September might be a bit light. This month I'm going to chill out and enjoy the fruition of many months of planning. One of the most difficult parts of the planning was enduring the professional make-up trial run. Yes, gals actually hire a professional to put make-up on their face for the wedding photos. Since people will be taking a lot of pictures of me, I decided to do a trial run with a make-up pro.
She was a very nice lady, and did a good job, but eyelash curlers are scary! I've never used one before, and seeing that piece of shiny metal coming right at my eyeball was terrifying. I wanted to leap out of the chair, but I didn't want to offend the make-up application person. She lives in Farmington and I know I'll run into her again. I was so shaken up after an hour of eyelash curlers, mascara wands and eye pencils coming near my eyeballs that I forgot to tip her. So I probably ended up offending her anyway.
The other difficult part of planning was picking a first dance song. I spent a whole afternoon stuck at Dunn Brothers during a snowstorm last winter trying to think of a good song. Three cups of coffee later I realized that none of the songs I like are about love. In fact, all of my favorite songs contain highly inappropriate lyrics for this particular situation. The only song with any love stuff that I like is Vermillion by Slipknot. But the video reminds me of an episode of Forensic Detectives on Discovery Channel, so it's probably not a good choice. I guess no one writes love songs to mosh to.
I tried listening to a whole boat load of "traditional" first dance tunes, but all of them sounded like elevator music. The Kwik Trip by my house plays these kind of songs over the loudspeaker above the gas pumps. While you're standing there in the winter with your hand freezing to the gas nozzle handle, you're being serenaded about love. So this week I still didn't have a clue about a first dance song. Then an idea popped into my head while I was driving the Echo. My pal Rocky's former band, Dayfeed, has a slow ballad song on their album that's really cool. That's it, I thought, I can use "The Ballad". As soon as I got home I eagerly qued up the Dayfeed CD. Perro and I sat perfectly still, listening. Sadly, I realized that even though the song mentions love, it's about a break-up. The song is called "Beauty in the Breakdown". I'd remembered the Beauty part, and forgotten about the Breakdown part. Oh well. The search goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment