Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Rolling with Recycling

Today is one of those fun holidays that isn't on most calendars. It's "America Recycles Day". I wish we got this day off of work just to celebrate recycling. I have a bunch of cardboard boxes from all my recent IKEA purchases to take to the cardboard bin behind Kwik Trip. I also have a chair and a couple of slightly bent shelving units that I plan to recycle by placing them on the curb with a "Free" sign. Don't laugh - this really works in Farmington.
My next door neighbor mows my lawn with a big John Deere riding lawnmower. So when I moved last year, I decided my manual push-mower was probably not going to get used anymore. I hauled it out to the curb late at night with a "Free" sign. Joey thought that was a pretty strange thing to do. He said no one was going to stop and pick it up. I told him, well, you're in Farmington now. Someone probably will stop. As we were standing out in the garage debating whether anyone would want a rusty manual mower, a pick-up quietly pulled up. A guy jumped out, gently placed the mower in the pickup bed, and drove off down my street. Probably he was a neighbor.
So go out tonight and recycle! It's time to round up those toilet paper tubes and old newspapers and show them who's boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment