Friday, December 1, 2006

G'N'R is Finally Here!


Tomorrow is Guns'N'Roses! After 14 years of waiting and two failed attempts to see Guns'N'Roses, I'm finally going to be in the sixth row at the show tomorrow. Helmet is opening along with Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Sebastian Bach learned many of Guns'N'Roses songs so that if Axl has one of his infamous issues and can't sing, Bach will back him up. Bach rules. First he's collaborating with Ted Nugent, aka the Motor City Madman, my favorite classic rock singer/subsistence hunter. Then Bach's helping out Axl. What a busy guy! As my Canadian co-worker would say, I guess sometimes it takes a Canadian to get things done. (Bach was raised in Vancouver.)
My only disappointment is missing the Guns'N'Roses and Metallica tour in 1992. I went on to see Metallica three times, and even meet them, but most of the original band members are now missing from Guns'N'Roses. I was forced to sell my ticket to another student in my Shakespeare class. My only consolation was that I enabled a fellow literature lover to have an experience of a lifetime. A few years ago I found a pristine version of the actual tour shirt from this concert, with the Minneapolis date on the back. I don't wear it. Instead, when I feel stressed, I just take it out of my carefully organized bin of tour shirts and cuddle with it. Then I play the "Appetite for Destruction" CD on repeat. I used to listen to the cassette version endlessly in my Del Sol - so often that the lovely strains of the song "Night train" remind me of flying along 170th Street with the top down and the heat cranked up. Guns and Roses is the most soothing music I've ever encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment