Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mary the Cult Member


A few mornings ago I lost my mobile phone. I looked in my purse, pockets, car and even under the bed.
I rode to work in a state of panic, my stomach twisting. Since January, I've been using the phone for all of my calendar appointments and To-Do Lists. I need to have the phone's little buzzing reminder to remember to do things. I've developed an unhealthy dependence on my phone.
At lunchtime I ran over to Target. I literally ran down the sidewalk, my pants legs flapping in the breeze. Target is only a few blocks from work. I picked out a good old Franklin Planner at Target. As soon as I got back to my desk and I started copying down appointments from Outlook into my paper planner, my stomach settled down.
I've been a member of the Franklin Planner cult for ten years. I joined in the spring of 1997, before Stephen Covey got involved with the company. I've collected about 10 planners and thousands of used calendar pages over the years.
I've been trying hard to leave the Franklin Planner cult, but I just can't seem to break free. I keep trying electronic planning devices, like the Pocket PC, the Palm IIIC, even a Timex handheld organizer. Every time I put away my planner for a while, I feel a gnawing sense of anxiety, like I'm forgetting to do things or missing meetings. I end up buying another Franklin Planner just to settle my nerves. If I can't see my entire month written down on a piece of paper, I know will forget something important, like feeding my sea monkeys or watering my prickly pear cactus.

A wonderful review of the Franklin Planner from Salon.com describes the little book this way:
Indeed, if used as intended, the Planner becomes the hub of one's entire life. Its pages contain all activities, as well as relationships, thoughts, beliefs, dreams, desires and plans for five or six years into the future. More than a mere organizer, it's close to a religion. In the Franklin Covey faith, organization is a means to salvation.

This quote eloquently describes the deep attachment between me and my planner, albeit in a slightly blasphemous way. I've finished transcribing all of my information into my new Franklin Planner. My hopes, dreams and mission statement are all contained in a single paper package. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the pages had pictures of flowers on them when I bought it. Some of the pages are Pepto Bismal pink too.
I was so panicked at Target that I grabbed the first black pleather planner that I saw, not noticing that the pages have a Martha Stewart-esque theme. They look a bit wussy, to be honest.
I wish that Franklin Covey would come out with a heavy metal themed set of planner pages. In the past they've introduced diverse themes such as golf, cartoons, leadership, and nature, all complete with inspirational daily quotes. I want a set of pages with inspirational daily quotes from Ozzy and Metallica. I envision an image of barbed wire scrolling down the middle of the page to separate the agenda from the to-do list. Maybe the pages could be black instead of pink, and I could use my cool silver gel pen to write down my daily goals.
Of course, after spending my entire bus ride home filling in my new floral planner, my phone turned up in the laundry hamper. It was buzzing and ringing and speaking. (I recorded all of my pals names in the contact list so the phone announces who is calling.)
Now I'm at a crossroads, and I need your help, dear reader. Should I try to get back on the technology wagon? I know that the mobile phone organizer has so many more features than my Franklin planner. But my planner gives me the simple comfort and joy of putting a pen to paper.
Help!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should either go back further or go forward further.

    Going back further would entail tossing the FP and using a simple Moleskin notebook with dates written in the corner by you, a la Ernest Hemingway.

    Going forward further would be to toss your Phone organizer and use Google Calendar. You can't lose Google, after all, and you can have it email your phone when you have appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google calendar just might be the thing. Then if I forget to charge the phone, I could still check the calendar on the Pillowtop.

    Before the Franklin Planner I did use a plain notebook to write down my stuff. It worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete