Saturday, June 2, 2007

Having a Ball


Here I am, once again, writing during Headbanger's Ball. I brought a stack of pictures downstairs to the family room with me to put in an album. What was I thinking? I always feel like writing during the middle of the Ball. I won a scholarship for a short story I wrote during the Ball.
It is so awesome having the Pillowtop. I used to write my stuff during Headbanger's Ball in a spiral-bound notebook and then type it on the Commodore 64 or the 286. Now as soon as I think of a line, it's in print and ready to send to you.
Right now I'm watching the new Type O Negative video. These guys are super heavy and slow. I met their drummer in 1995 at First Ave. I had to be there for my job, to write a review for the Minnesota Daily. Oh darn. What a difficult assignment. Hanging out with rock stars and getting paid. It doesn't get any better than that. The first time I saw Type O Negative in concert was the first time I was at a metal show with as many girls as guys.
Last weekend I stopped by Super America for some Super Mom's hot dug buns. As I crossed the parking lot, a girl walked past me, probably in ninth grade, wearing a black metal T-Shirt and Converse sneakers and carrying a skateboard. She had blond hair, straight, hanging past her shoulders. I think I saw my mini-me. That's my doppelganger. I was so happy to see another one like me. I'm not alone, not at all. Now it's time for the next generation of headbangers and so many of them will be a girl like me.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my old newspaper, The Minnesota Daily.
They didn't fire me. I just graduated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment