Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bridge Collapse

Tonight I was on the road after a late evening at work, cruising along in the the convertible listening to KBEM, the public radio traffic station. I passed 35W, deciding to take 77 south, since a bunch of cars were lined up at the metered entrance ramp. The traffic reporter announced the local slowdowns in a professional manner. As I entered the 77 south bridge over the Minnesota river, the traffic reporter's voice cracked. Panic entered his tone. All I heard was, "35W has collapsed. The 35W river bridge collapsed." My stomach clenched. I thought the Minnesota river bridge I just passed collapsed. Seconds ticked by slowly. Everything was happening in slow motion, the rush of the wind in my convertible dulled.
Then the KBEM reporter said that the traffic cameras showed the 35W bridge over the Mississippi river collapsed. I felt sick. The bridge is only a few blocks from Hennepin County Medical Center, my former workplace. The rest of my drive passed by in a haze of worry. State troopers passed me going northbound, sirens wailing.
At home, I turned the TV to Fox 9 news. Jeff Passolt, who I usually listen to cracking jokes on the KQRS morning show, was saddened. Tom Lydon, who interviewed me a couple of years ago for a silly office story, was pale and somber. None of the TV news crew wore makeup or styled hair. Everyone seemed to report for duty as they were.
I'm still watching now. Hennepin County Medical Center has issued a code orange. I hope all of my former co-workers are OK. As I'm watching city and county employees respond to the scene on the news, I'm overwhelmed by their difficulty of their work. The Minneapolis police, the Hennepin Country Medical Center staff, the fire crews and paramedics are all working darn hard to help people. Thank goodness we have such dedicated public employees here in Minnesota. I know that they are carrying pagers and cell phones, dreading the call, yet ready with anticipation of the crisis. These guys and gals are the best. Working for less, yet doing so much more than us in the private sector.
I'm saddened by the chaos and fear. Now Channel 9 is broadcasting a call from Amy Klobuchar, former Hennepin County employee, now a U.S. Senator. If anyone can help this situation at the national level, I believe she can. I know she will do the most she can. Any county employee would.
I still don't know if everyone I know is OK, and I'm pretty worried, so I'm going to sign off right now. I hope for the best. I wish everyone is OK.

3 comments:

  1. I seem to be following Josh around the blog chain, but... what Josh said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet. :)

    This is just such a terrible thing to happen. Bad stuff just doesn't happen in Minnesota - this is the land of happy people, lots of lakes, cows, corn and deep-fried cheese curds.

    ReplyDelete