Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Ghost of Christmas Past


Garrison Keillor, my favorite slow speaker and former English major, once said, "A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together." We all go through the holidays together, and now we are finally on the other side. Usually I plan to see a concert or two in January to celebrate surviving the holidays. I need a little something to get excited about during the frigid, dark days of January. Last year I was so desperate I saw Kansas.
The Christmas tree is still up, and all of my straw goats are still strewn about the house. Tonight is the big night to pack it all up. I'll carefully wrap and stow the goats in a caolor-coordinated red and green tote, where they will hibernate until next Yule. Straw goats are a special part of the Swedish Jul celebration. The one pictured on the left is 13 meters tall. That is one massive Christmas goat.
I'll leave you to admire the goat while I start tucking away the Christmas decor. I'm happy that this Christmas has passed on, and it's time for a fresh New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment