Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Taste of Chaos

In the past day, chaos swirled around me. Last night I was pressed into a sweaty pit of headbangers for five hours, watching Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu and Bullet for My Valentine at the Taste of Chaos show. Five hours in the pit was a tiny taste of chaos. As the house lights turned on, little did I know that a whole ladleful of chaos was coming my way.
This morning I pulled on my best suit, tucked the latest issue of Car & Driver into my faux Prada tote, and headed off to court. I was subpoenaed as a witness for the prosecution in the against the intoxicated driver who sideswiped my car last fall. Road debris splattered on my windshield and snow fell around me as I inched my way towards court in a massive traffic jam. I was listening to Morning Edition on NPR when the radio commentary was interrupted by a thud and a sickening cracking sound. A rock thrown off a semi broke the windshield of my van.
I finally arrived at the courthouse, and after waiting in the courtroom for an hour, I discovered the defendant had already plead guilty. I never got the chance to testify. After filing for reimbursement for my mileage, I trudged back out to the van.
I raced through the day at work, tearing through Java code and pairing with a consultant to tackle a weighty software bug. I was still in full tilt when my phone buzzed with a new text message at 5 o'clock. It was the hubby. My Toyota Echo, which has been on the market exactly a day and a half, already sold. Even though my Smart won't arrive for a few months, I assumed it would take the Echo a while to sell. I haven't actually sold too many cars. Of the fourteen vehicles I've owned, nearly all went to the junkyard, were given to a pal or donated to charity. I like giving away cars. I tried to give the Echo to my husband, but he wouldn't take it. He agreed to show it to prospective buyers instead.
So the whirlwind of chaos is finally settling, the dust drifting back towards the ground. In twenty-four hours I moshed to numerous bands, wasted an hour and a half driving in a snowstorm, visited a Hennepin county court in session, cracked my windshield and sold a Toyota. All that, and I still found time to do my homework tonight. Now it's time for a big, fat dinner and bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment